My dad was here yesterday and we decided, somewhat whimsically, to start removing the chimney breast in the back room/study and Quinn's bedroom-to-be. We made a good start and dad returned today with a bag of clothes so he could stay for a few days and try and get the whole thing done. Today we made pretty good tracks in to it, as you can see below. Bedroom is on top and the back room is below.
There's another part to the chimney, which is in the loft. We're lucky, in that the house had a new roof 12 years ago. When they did that they removed the chimney stack from above the roof (the whole thing is redundant) and the breast ends just below the tiles, as below. This saves us a lot of work! Even though a lot of work is required to make good of the bodge job you can see the roofers did.
Whether or not removing the breast is worth it is a matter of debate with many of our new neighbours. Personally I think it should come out. Of the three breasts in the house it's the only one that's not used. Part of it is in a small room and this is where its removal can make a significant difference.
Removing them is a big messy job and not for the feint-hearted. It's only that I am lucky enough to have a retired dad who is more than happy to help out that this is possible. Well, on the cheap anyway. We're hoping to have it done before the week ends. Stay tuned for daily progress reports.