After criticising the Buyers for not returning the call I found a message from them on my mobile (which I'd accidentally thrown in the wheely bin!), asking us to call them. They actually had some promising news for once. The surveyor has finally relayed the information back to the mortgage company who are now holding back £1,500, because of the work needed to get rid of the damp problem. Not great news but at least we're at a point where we can move forward.
All we have to do now is decide how to cover this cost. You'd expect the Buyers to cover it, would you not? If you put in an offer then that's your offer. Well, they don't think so. In their words we advertised the house as "ready to move in to", which obviously it is. They think we should cover the whole cost so that they can actually move in.
Instead of accepting this we simply offered to meet them half way, lowering the price of the house by £750. We really want to tell them to go swivel, but have to sensible about it. In the long term it's a much better option to give them £750 and get this whole thing resolved.
After the phone call I talked to Karen about the idea that we might have to lower the price by the whole £1,500 if it really came down to it. She didn't take this well and started to scream and shout (she really does hate this couple!). After she calmed down I managed to reason with her. I too hate the idea of giving in to them, but you've got to look at it from a business angle and not let feelings get involved. If we told them where to stick it we would probably end up spending more than £1500 in other fees. All I want is the quickest and cheapest way to completion. At the moment this seems to be to swallow our pride and give yet more money to the fuckwits that have already cost us too much money.
Maybe we can't blame them completely. With hindsight on our side we should have read the signs earlier on and put the house straight back on the market. We should have done this as soon as knew they had gone on holiday, returning the day before the agreed move date, with nothing signed.